Thursday, December 15, 2011

Amelia's Birth Story - 1 Year Late!

 WARNING:  This is long!  If you aren't family, you probably won't care about the majority of any of this.  Even if you are family, you still may not care to read any of this...but in case you do - here it is!  This TOTALLY doesn't seem  like a year ago!  It was a CRAZY day that *could* have ended in a very different way.  :)  Enjoy...or don't...

It really all started on Monday, December 13, 2010.  I had been having some fairly mild contractions but I was a little worried because they occasionally felt like “real” ones.  Monday marked 35 weeks and I really wanted to hold her in just a little longer!  My first appointment to have my cervix checked was on Wednesday the 15th but Judd and I were planning on going to visit family out of town.  I called my doctor to see if he could squeeze me in (just to make sure we could travel safely) that afternoon and he said that was fine.  I need to point out here that I have the most awesome doctor, ever.  He’s a close family friend and I couldn’t be comfortable in his care.
 So off to town we went to go to the doctor and then run some errands.  I checked in and got in my little big gown and waited.  My sweet nurse first said, “Ya know you technically don’t have to get checked this time.  You can wait until next time if you want.” And I told her, “I just want to make sure we can travel safely so I’m okay with being checked.”  When the doctor came in I told him that I just wanted to make sure that everything was okay before I left since my labor and delivery with Caroline was rather quick and at 35 weeks with her, I was already 3cm, 50%.  I was being checked when I saw him glance at the nurse with “something’s up” eyes.  Then he asked me, “Have you been having a lot of pains?”  I wasn’t really sure how to answer because I had had some contractions, but nothing regular or unbearable or anything.  “I’m not sure…I’ve had some, but not a lot. Why?” to which he replied, “No reason…” which was clearly to keep me from panicking. Ha!
  When it was over, he had this look on his face like he was trying to decide whether or not I could go out of town.  I got a little nervous waiting to hear what he was going to say.  He’s the most laid back doctor ever, and if he said I couldn’t go…that definitely meant something was up.  He was writing in my chart and not saying anything to me yet (this lasted about 5 seconds but felt like 5 years) so I said, “What am I?  3cm? 4cm? 2cm?”  And his reply was, “Oh you’re definitely 3cm. (He said this with a voice almost indicating that I might be more than 3cm..)  I don’t normally tell people that they can’t go out of town if they feel up to it, but you REALLY don’t need to go on this trip.”  So after talking a few minutes he assured me everything was fine but since my labor with Caroline lasted 5 hours from start to finish, it wouldn’t be wise to make a 2 hour trip away from home.  I was 3cm, 50%, -2 station.  I knew it felt like she was low...sometimes it felt like she was pushing on my pelvic bones! 
I went out and told Judd the news.  He was so shocked.  We both just knew that I would end up going to 41 weeks this time….just because I was spoiled with delivering Caroline at 37 weeks.  That was still possible!  Women walk around dilated for weeks before they have their babies!  But for some reason, I could tell my doctor didn’t think that was going to be the case with me.
We went to Walmart and bought groceries and let me just tell you…don’t go grocery shopping after getting checked when you’re fairly dilated and effaced.  Seriously.  I was cramping and totally uncomfortable.  I finally couldn’t stand it anymore so Judd finished checking out and I took Caroline and myself to the car.  When we got home I took a warm bath trying to get the cramps to stop.  Well, these cramps/contractions basically went on for 2 days.  All day Tuesday I stayed in the bed and the bathtub, hurting.  I kept telling myself that when it got unbearable or the contractions got regular or closer together, I’d call the doctor.  That never happened.  I think I took 5 baths that day because they made the pain feel better.  Thankfully, Judd took care of Caroline for me.  That night, I wanted to put her to bed.  I had an itching feeling that that might be my last night to have her as my only child.  She put her head on my shoulder and I stood there for longer than usual trying to soak it all in.  (As a sidenote, when I came out, I told Judd that I wanted him to throw his clothes in a bag just in case this was it.  Did he do that?  Of course not.  Such a man.)  
I had contractions all night long, but nothing was ever regular.  I timed them over and over and they were all over the place.  I’d have 8min, 5min, 10min, 6min, 12min, and so on.  They were definitely hurting, but nothing I couldn’t tolerate or made me cry out in pain.  I got up around 3:30am and got in the bathtub and ended up falling asleep in there for almost 45 minutes.  I woke up with more pains, and more uncomfortable.  Well Judd was planning on going duck hunting with my doctor (I told you he’s a family friend!) that morning at 5:45am.  I told Judd that after their duck hunt, maybe my doctor could run by and check me.  Judd said that was fine and he would tell him for me.  Around 4:45am my contractions started hurting a little more and I was feeling some contractions in my back.  A few minutes later after another painful contraction, I started grabbing my back (back labor!) and had tears in my eyes.  Judd said, “Are you sure you don’t want him to come by first?”  and I said, “Maybe so.  Yeah, let’s get him to come now.” (In hindsight, I’m SO glad that I changed my mind!) So Judd called him and asked him to stop by and he said that was fine. 
When he got there, Judd was getting ready to go hunting and my doctor was decked out in his camo.  When he came in, I told him – “If this isn’t it, y’all are going to have to sedate me for the next 2 weeks because I’m exhausted and can’t take any more.”  I had been contracting for 3 days and hadn’t slept a total of 7 hours.  I was SO TIRED.  That was an exhaustion I had never known.  He checked me, then the words I’ll never forget came out of his mouth.  “Yeah, you’re about 8cm…”  to which I said, “That’s not funny.”  I thought he was joking and was going to say, “Just kidding – you’re the same…just tough it out.”  But no…he said, “I’m not joking – you’re 8cm! Get up and get dressed and let’s go to the hospital! You’re having a baby today!”  I started crying out of sheer fear that Amelia wouldn’t be able to breathe on her own (she was only 35wks).  He assured me everything was going to be fine…but that I REALLY needed to get up and come on!  Judd was in the hallway when my doctor walked out and I heard my doc say, “We gotta go to the hospital!” and Judd’s surprised expression when he said, “REALLY?”  So of course he comes in the room throwing stuff in a bag and I’m putting my last minute things in my bag.  I stopped by the edge of the bed with a contraction and my doctor was standing in the doorway watching me like a hawk.  He said, “You okay?” and I said, “I hope so.”   We got my mother in law to come stay with Caroline (thank goodness she only lives a mile away!) and we got in the car.  Best part – Judd looked at my doctor and said, “Sooo…are you gonna go hunting or come straight to the hospital?”  We still laugh about that one!  “Yeah Judd, I’m gonna go see if I can get my limit in, then I’ll be up there!”  Ha!
On the way to the hospital, Judd looked over at me and said, “Happy Anniversary!” with a huge smile on his face.  Then it hit me that it was our 3 year anniversary and was soon to be our daughter’s birthday!  That was a special moment!  If we’re being honest, I was terrified I was going to have her in the car.  I just knew Judd needed to be putting on flashers and running red lights – however, he felt like he needed to wait for each light to turn green.  I may or may not have yelled at him.
When we got to the hospital, they were waiting on me at the front door.  My nurse said, “Girl you were trying to wait it out weren’t you?” and I said, “I really wasn’t!  I honestly didn’t know I was in labor!” And in all honesty, I would’ve gone in a lot sooner and gotten that epidural had I known!
 Judd parked the car while I went up and got situated in the room.  I was waiting on my epidural.  I can handle the contractions, obviously, but never do I want to feel the baby come out.  EVER.  So I filled out my paperwork and waited on the anesthesiologist to come in.  I was so happy to see him because I was in a good bit of pain.  I hugged Judd and they told me to “be still” which was almost laughable.  I felt the stick and propped back up in bed.  After the epidural, we just kind of sat around for a couple of minutes soaking in what was happening.  We had called family, but obviously none of them would make it in time!  A few minutes later the nurse said, “I’m going to check you and see where you are.”  So she came over and sat down and barely did anything.  Then she got up and just walked out without saying a word.  I looked at Judd and said, “Did she check me?”  “Yeah” he said.  I said, “No she didn’t.  I didn’t feel anything….hmm…I feel like I might need to push.”  Judd got up to tell someone and they met him at the door.  A crew of people were already coming in!  Judd looked down and said, “Whoa…her head is right there!”  Apparently there was no need to check me, she was crowning! (Thank you, epidural!) So we got set up and and my nurse said, “Okay on this next contraction we can push” and my doctor said, “You can push whenever you want, she’s coming out regardless!”  Three intense pushes later, Amelia was born at 8:11am.  We didn’t get to the hospital until 6:30am!  I couldn’t believe she was here!  Judd cut the cord, and she let out a big cry!  When she cried, I cried!  I was never so happy to hear a newborn scream her head off.  Her lungs were working perfectly and she was as healthy as possible!  She weighed 6lb 8.4oz, that’s just one ounce shy of Caroline’s birth weight at 37 weeks!  She made it just in time for Christmas!  The Lord has blessed our family with more than we deserve! 
Amelia Harper Davis
December 15, 2010

6lbs 8.4oz

Minutes after arriving - and MINUTES before delivering!



  1. love birth stories! Even if they're a year late! ;) Congrats on such a beautiful and healthy baby!

  2. HAHA great story! FWIW my husband would act and say the same things! Happy Birthday/Anniversary to you and your family!

  3. Love birth stories! Such a sweet reminder of a begining to a sweet baby! I went back and read Preston's, and the comment you left is kinda funny:Kacie said...
    What a sweet story!! Congratulations, again! When I got to the hospital with Caroline I was 6cm and I'm scared I'll miss my opportunity for an epidural with this next one! HA! Yay for an easy labor for you!

    November 4, 2010 9:43 AM

    Haha...a little foreshadowing!
    Hope yall enjoy her day!